Apr. 2, 2015 By Jack Jodell.
A lot of noise has been generated lately in the corporate-owned mainstream media about the Republicans’ Budget for America. As one might expect, there is very little new or of interest in it: the same old tax breaks for billionaires; subsidies for huge corporations who don’t need them; plenty for the already overbloated military / industrial complex; cuts on social safety net programs, etc., etc., ad nsuseum. It is little more than additional Retreadlican trickle down economics, and all of us know who really benefits from that nonsense – only the very wealthiest 1%, while the rest of us, the 99% MAJORITY, will be left dangling in limbo, with stagnant wages and rising costs nipping constantly at our backsides. It actually is a very reactionary austerity budget trying to be forced on us by ultra right wing darlings of the Tea Party such as Paul Ryan.
While this very sorry excuse for a national budget has received undue corporate media fanfare, a MUCH better and far more fair and practical budget was drawn up by the Congressuinal Perogressive Caucus (the CPC). It stands clearly head and shoulders above the Teapublicans’ worthless effort, and it deserves passage!
Now what is the CPC? The Congressional Progressive Caucus consists of one United States Senator and seventy five members of the United States House of Representatives, and is the largest caucus within the House Democratic Caucus. Established in 1991, the CPC reflects the diversity and strength of the American people and seeks to give voice to the needs and aspirations of all Americans and to build a more just and humane society. The current Co-Chairs of the CPC are U.S. Representatives Raúl M. Grijalva (AZ-07) and Keith Ellison (MN-05). The Senate member is Bernie Sanders (VT), and the rest of the House members include such notable progressives as Barbara Lee, Jan Schakowsky, David Cicilline, Michael Capuano, John Conyers, Elijah Cummings, Rosa DeLauro, Alan Grayson, Sheila Jackson-Lee, Luis Gutierrez, Maxine Waters, Jim McDermott, John Lewis, Brenda Lawrence, Joe Kennedy III, plus a great many others. These are members of Congress who are true public servants rather than mere corporate shills, and each of them is definitely earning his or her paycheck! They named their budget “The People’s Budget – A Raise for America!”. After learning about it on FREE SPEECH TV, I went to the CPC’s website for more details. Below, taken from that website, is what I found:
THE PEOPLE’S BUDGET
8.4 million good paying jobs by 2018$1.9 trillion investment in America’s future
$820 billion infrastructure and transportation improvements
The People’s Budget fixes an economy that, for too long, has failed to provide the opportunities American families need to get ahead. Despite their skills and work ethic, most American workers and families are so financially strapped from increasing income inequality that their paychecks barely cover basic necessities. They earn less and less as corporations and the wealthy continue amassing record profits. It has become clear to American workers that the system is rigged.
The People’s Budget levels the playing field and creates economic opportunity by increasing the pay of middle- and low-income Americans. More customers and higher consumer spending advance American businesses, not tax cuts and relaxed regulations. The People’s Budget drives a full economic recovery by creating high-quality jobs and reducing family expenses, restoring the buying power of working Americans.
The People’s Budget closes tax loopholes that companies use to ship jobs overseas. It creates fair tax rates for millionaires and provides needed relief to low- and middle-income families. It invests in debt-free college, workforce training and small businesses within our communities, helping return our economy to full employment and giving a raise to Americans who need it most. Investments in The People’s Budget boost employment and wages by addressing some of the biggest challenges of our time: repairing America’s rapidly aging roads and bridges, upgrading our energy systems to address climate change, keeping our communities safe, and preparing our young people to thrive as citizens and workers.
A fair wage is more than the size of a paycheck. It’s having enough hours, paid overtime, sick and parental leave, and affordable health and childcare. It’s being able to afford a good education for your kids and never living in fear that your job will be sent overseas. It’s knowing you can make ends meet at the end of the month. The People’s Budget helps achieve that with a raise for American workers, a raise for struggling families and a boost to America’s long-term global competitiveness.
A RAISE FOR AMERICA
· Creates more than 8 million good jobs by 2018.
· Increases functionality of Worker Protection Agencies.
· Includes a four percent raise for federal workers.
· Provides Paid Leave Initiative and Child Care.
· Supports a minimum wage increase and Collective Bargaining.
AUSTERITY TO PROSPERITY
· Repeals sequester and all Budget Control Act spending caps.
· Increases discretionary funding to invest in working families.
· Reverses harmful cuts and enhances social safety net.
· Invests in veterans, women, communities of color and their families.
FAIR INDIVIDUAL TAXES
· Equalizes tax rates for investment income and income from work.
· Returns to Clinton-era tax rates for households making over $250,000 and implements new brackets for those making over $1 million.
· Expands the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Care Credit.
FAIR CORPORATE TAXES
· Eliminates the ability of U.S. corporations to defer taxes on offshore profits.
· Ends corporate inversions that allow U.S. companies to merge offshore to avoid taxes.
· Enacts a Financial Transaction Tax on various financial market transactions.
· Ends unlimited executive pay tax write-offs.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR EVERY STUDENT
· Provides debt-free college to every student.
· Allows refinancing of student loans.
· Invests in K-12 and provides free pre-school.
AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE
· Repeals excise tax on high-priced workers plans and replaces with public option.
· Implements drug price negotiation for Medicare.
· Reauthorizes Children’s Health Insurance Program.
· Allows states to transition to single-payer health care systems.
PROTECTING OUR ENVIRONMENT
· Closes tax loopholes and ends subsidies provided to oil, gas and coal companies.
· Enacts a price on carbon pollution without hurting low-income families.
· Invests in clean and renewable energy and green manufacturing.
· Modernizes our defense posture to create sustainable baseline defense spending.
· Ends emergency funding for Overseas Contingency Operations.
· Increases funding for diplomacy and invests in job transition programs.
COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM
· Implements comprehensive immigration reform, including a pathway to citizenship.
ACCESS TO HOUSING
· Fully funds programs to make housing affordable and accessible for all Americans.
PUBLIC FINANCING OF CAMPAIGNS
· Funds public financing of campaigns to curb special interest influence in politics.
Full Budget documents are below.
- El Resumen del Presupuesto del Pueblo (03/23/1504:01 PM ET )
- The People’s Budget: A Raise For America (03/18/1511:06 AM ET )
- EPI Analysis of The People’s Budget (03/18/1511:00 AM ET )
- The People’s Budget: A Raise For America Summary (03/18/1509:21 AM ET )
This budget is pure common sense and eliminates special perks for greedy corporate interests.
WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THE FORCE-FED REPUBLICAN AUISTERITY NONSENSE! CALL YOUR CONGRESSPERSON (ESPECIALLY IF HE OR SHE IS A REPUBLICAN) AND DEMAND THAT THIS BUDGET BE PASSED, SIGNED, AND PUT INTO LAW!
HAPPY EASTER and HAPPY PASSOVER TO ALL! 🙂