BOYCOTT WALGREENS DRUG STORES!

July 17, 2014  By Jack Jodell.

Greedy, corporate tax evasion has hit one of America’s oldest, and  the country’s largest retail pharmacy chain: Walgreens Drug stores. Begun in Chicago in 1901 by Charles R, Walgreen, the son of Swedish immigrant parents who became a pharmacist. Charles was quite an innovator: he was one of the first drug retailers to feature non-pharmaceuticals as a big part of his inventory, and quickly established inexpensive lunch counters in his stores. As ice cream grew in popularity, Walgreen opened his own ice cream factory, and, by 1922, had introduced malted milk shakes to the country. Walgreen expanded his number of stores relatively rapidly, growing from the one store in 1901 to 5 by 1915 and 20 by 1920. During Prohibition, the chain continued to grow and thrive partly by selling legal prescription whiskey. Today, this pharmacy giant boasts an astounding 8,678 stores throughout the United States and its possessions. The latest Wall Street stock figures show this to be a company with rising revenues and dividends – rock solid. Despite all this, it has been announced that Walgreens may move its headquarters from Deerfield, IL to Sqwitzerland to aoid paying U.S. taxes. The company claims it will save as much as $750 MILLION by doing this.  Of course, while it may then become technically a Swiss-owned corporation, it will continue to make all of its revenue and profits here; will still depend upon  OUR roads and airports to move its goods upon; will still depend upon OUR police and fire departments to protect its stores, yet will avoid all tax liability within this country. This nifty little scheme is called tax inversion, and is completely outrageous!  While corporate predators like Mitt Romney may consider this to be an advantageous shrewd move, in reality it is a slap in the face of every American worker, consumer, and taxpayer!

That is why I am STRONGLY urging ALL Americans to BOYCOTT WALGREENS DRUG STORES IMMEDIATELY, until this greedy corporation comes to its senses and completely drops this plan to defraud the American government and its people!

Let’s all BOYCOTT WALGREENS and teach the greedy corporate schemers there a well-deserved lesson in ethics!

This entry was posted in commentary, corporate greed, economics, Mitt Romney, taxes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to BOYCOTT WALGREENS DRUG STORES!

1. Hello Jack,
    With them talking like this…..I’ll NEVER buy anything from Walgreens EVER AGAIN!!! The Bastards!

Wayne,
      Thanks for your support. I won’t even buy a gumball from greedy corporations like this anymore!

2. Rogi Remillard says:

I tried to call Corp-hor-ate and let them know I was outraged at their anti-American attitude. I will continue to do so.
    In the mean time I have moved all my scripts to another pharmacy. Over the last ten years I know my business to Walgreens has been small, between 1/4 and 1/2 of a million dollars, gross, but if enough of us do the same, they might get the message.

3. Boycott All Inversions says:

What about the other companies that have actually already done a corporate inversion???

Stop buying Chiquita brand bananas…

Who else???

GREAT POINT, Boycott All Inversions! Chiquita and others, too, should be boycotted for their greediness and lack of responsibility toward the American populace and their government! Walgreen’s just came into the news recently, and that’s why I featured them. I will, in the future, spotlight other similar greedy tax evaders.

4. A nationwide boycott is planned for August 9th. Time for the reckoning. Contact me on Facebook for more info.

GREAT news, Diane! Thanks for sharing, and I encourage all to visit you on Facebook to get the details. As for me, I HATE Facebook and won’t go there, because every time I do, I get literally bombarded with meaningless and annoying so-called “friend requests” from people I don’t even know from everywhere. Consequently, I avoid Facebook like the Bubonic plague…

• I understand …I have a love / hate relationship with fb. It has been a great platform for me, as I have been boycotting and holding protests for several years.
        Thank you for your contribution in holding Walgreens accountable. They are not the pharmacy America trusts.

5. jackjodell53 says:

Thank you, Diane, and I encourage you to keep up the good activist work you are doing – our country (and the world) needs far more Diane Hartmans! 🙂