I HATE FACEBOOK!!!!!

January 10, 2013  By Jack Jodell

My friends, the title says it all: I HATE FACEBOOK!!!! Years ago, I made the mistake of signing onto it, and it has plagued me ever since. It is a rare day that I do not receive one or more email message notifications, or birthday reminders about my friends and/or relatives, or friend requests, or inquiries on whether or not I know specific people.

I AM TIRED OF HAVING TO CONTINUALLY AND REPEATEDLY UNCLOG MY EMAIL INBOX DUE TO THESE OVERLY ABUNDANT MESSAGES FROM FACEBOOK!

I AM TIRED OF THIS CONSTANT PESTERING FROM FACEBOOK!

I may have posted a photo of myself and a brief summary when I first joined – I don’t recall, because I have avoided revisiting that site for many years due to the nonstop hounding I received from them right after I had joined. It’s been so long now, I don’t even remember the password I used to gain entrance.

I found very early on that the overwhelming majority of “friend requests” I was receiving came from people I didn’t know, had never worked with or interacted with in any way, and had never heard of before.

I RESENTED THE FACT THAT FACEBOOK WAS ATTEMPTING TO BUILD ITS MEMBERSHIP BY USING ME AND ITS OTHER MEMBERS IN SO RECKLESS A FASHION!

Just so you are aware: I am not unkind, conceited, standoffish, stuck on myself, or wish to live like a hermit in a secluded cave. I have a great number of loyal friends, am involved in a number of different rewarding activities, and am certainly not wanting for something to occupy my time. Unlike some of those who appear to be literally (and unhealthily)  addicted to Facebook, Twitter, and other forms of social media, I DO have a life of my own I am happy with and receive all the information and enjoyment I can handle from others in the blogosphere, and by profuse reading on the internet. I simply do NOT need an aggravation like Facebook, so I refuse to go there any longer!

I am well aware of the fact that Facebook has drawn many peoples of the world together and has exerted many positive influences globally, among which have been the Arab Spring and the #Occupy movements, as well as the spread of a large amount of vitally important news which has been altogether ignored by the corporate owned and dominated mainstream media. I am delighted at the number of political chat rooms which have sprung up on Facebook. I simply choose to not take part in them, as I vastly prefer to communicate using this and other blog sites instead.

So please don’t be offended if your request to be my “friend” on Facebook goes completely ignored and is not responded to. Despite their having been the rage in the mid to late 1970s, I never ever owned or used a CB radio, either, and I have done just fine without one of them as well.

My hope is that someday, eventually, my inbox will be completely clear of all Facebook notices!

This entry was posted in commentary and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to I HATE FACEBOOK!!!!!

1. I’m not a Luddite by any stretch of the imagination, being an IT guy by profession, and I’m aware of the few good things that have come about with Facebook’s existence, but it has become obvious, especially since the beginning of the past election cycle, that the inmates are running the asylum… even in the very few games I use to get the cobwebs out in the morning, the “sponsored links” seem to be for rightwing causes, evangelical Protestant Christian pages or ripoff get-rich-quick scams… I joined the networking site to stay in touch with my kids, but, as that’s kinda become a non-issue (personal family politics not for public consumption), I have little reason to spend any time there any more… it’s either requests for game gifts or letting me know how much God loves me… but only the God as interpreted by neo-fundamentalist Christianity… kinda funny, considering it was started by a nerd who wanted to meet hot girls in his college…

paulthesaxguy,
      Thank you for your comment. There are indeed some ok spots to visit on Facebook, and nothing is all good or all bad. But I HATE being used by it to just build its membership base, and I HATE having to erase ridiculous Facebook shit from my inbox all the time! That’s why I NEVER go there anymore.

• I agree, Jack… for me, it’s just been too much hassle picking through the crap to find the few gems in there… I was defriended by quite a few folks I thought I knew, due to my choosing to remain a gentleman in spite of the “are you blind????!!!!” crap when it was obvious I supported President Obama, but wouldn’t rise to their bait, and some others that couldn’t get their heads around the fact that I am a moral person without their religious baggage… I’m not an atheist, but don’t tend to fit any rigid ideology… it just seems to me that there are entirely too many people on there that consider “The People of Walmart” as an instructional site and the “Handmaid’s Tale” as a how-to manual… some good folks around there. Some of them are otherwise offline friends, acquaintances, landlords and family, and, as I don’t wish to be a hateful person to or about any of them, I’ve just made the decision to stay the hell away… by leaving, I suppose I’ve defaulted the narrative to such folks, but I’m just too old and tired to bother.

2. Max's Dad says:

I swear, Jack, I will never friend request you on Facebook. Not because I don’t want to be your friend, but because I don’t have a clue what you are even talking about. Facebook, what is that? Is that big nowadays? I just learned Morse Code and can’t wait to get onboard that telegraph thing! Good post as always.

3. Joe Hagstrom says:

They’re like the body snatchers Jack. We are all in the Facebook pod.

ARRRRGGGHHH! I jist need some relief from that thing that appears to be out there mainly for people without a life!

4. Mary Flora says:

I watched friends become slaves to Facebook. They spent hours – doing what I do not know. Reading your blog today makes me so glad I refrained from joining – despite the unsubtle suggestions I was not savy.

Mary Flora,
      Thank you for your comment. Far too many have indeed become slaves to Facebook, and I (speaking for many) do not care in the least about the trivial nature of what is going on in other people’s lives. It is childish and reminds me of silly little notes being passed from one desk to another in grade school. I applaud you for your courage, and you definitely DO have savvy! 🙂

5. jackjodell53 says:

paulthesaxguy,
    I can tell you are a man with broad perspective. You and others like you belong here at this site. Please visit often, and comment whenever you like.

6. Thank you so much, Jack! I’ve followed your blog for a while, and, as is my usual practice with blogs I regularly read, I refrain from commenting until I’ve had a chance to see from where the blogger is coming, the general tone of comments, and the like… and then, I do my level damndest to be a gentleman, whether or not I’m in agreement… it’s one of the reasons I’ve boycotted Facebook, as it seems entirely too many folks don’t get it that once something is posted online, it’s going to reside on some storage until the universe suffers heat death! LOL

So many people, not just on FB, but elsewhere seem to forget that if their friends and family can see them running rampant, other folks can also, and just because someone has the right to say something doesn’t necessarily mean that it should be said… maybe, at almost 56, I’m just an old fart, but it seems it’s a symptom of the times in which we live.

7. Tracy Farrelly says:

I hate Facebook also. I just watched the movie, the Social Network. What a d-bag that Mark guy is. Who cares if you’re rich, if you’re so rude and so callous. I’m glad those brothers and the original CFO got their settlements though. I was on facebook for a while and it was nice to connect with people in other continents, but the aggravation of keeping up with your status and trying to maintain it.. was more than cumbersome for me.. I needed to be done with it. As my hubby puts it, it was like “cleaning your room”. Too much maintenance and the ethics of the guys running it are growing ever worse. I’m so glad I’m done with it, I miss it in a small sense, but I’m much richer for having removed myself from it. 🙂

Thanks, Tracy. I didn’t even bother with the movie. I’m hopeful that if I ignore Facebook long enough, it will stop pestering me and wither away altogether! :=)

8. Well, Jack, now you’ve done it… LOL You’ve inspired me to do my own blog entry as to how and why I’ve turned my back on FB… http://paulthesaxguy.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/3/

9. Felecia says:

I hate Facebook also. I REFUSE to join even though it seems there is some huge conspiracy to make me. I cannot even like a comment on NFL.com or comment on many other sites without a Facebook account. Well, I refuse to cave. I will NEVER join. Never.
    🙂

10. Closed my FB account as of 11:30 PM, CST… going to wake up in the morning with a strange sense of freedom… and was profoundly touched by the number of people that wished me well and intend to follow my example. We each have our reasons for being on this planet… perhaps my purpose is to be a strange sort of Moses… LOL

Paul,
      I am honored that my recent anti-Facebook blogpost inspired you to post such a monumental and revealing post. Welcome to WordPress, too!

11. Alex says:

YOU HATE FACEBOOK! I get it. You’ve made this clear. Are you aware that if you would of taken the time to read, you can shut down all those pestering emails and crap from Facebook? It’s actually very simple. I am not a huge FB fan, however, I am greatful for Facebook! It has put me in touch with people I thought I would never talk to again. Most of which can not be found through traditional means, phone book, through friends of friends, private eye.

Alex,
      Thank you for stopping by and commenting. As I mentioned, FB is not all bad and I DO see its value, particularly in the instances you have described. Regrettably, when I first joined it, I found navigating around on it to be a bit difficult, so I never learned how to shut down all the undesirable stuff. It was so long ago, and I have been avoiding it for so long, that I don’t even remember my password. So now I have simply decided to avoid it altogether.

• Felecia says:

“. . . if you would of taken the time to read,” Did you realize if you didn’t spend so much time on Facebook you might know it is “would HAVE” taken the time, not “would of”
      I for one am convinced there is a web-wide conspiracy to force people to join Facebook. There are numerous sites on which I cannot join in discussions or participate because you HAVE to login using Facebook. Well, I’m not going to be bullied.

Felecia,
        LOL – thanks for pointing out Alex’s grammatical error, and I’m with you on the conspiracy thing. I am just going to sit back and wait for all this FB hysteria to pass as it inevitably will. This is all too reminiscent of the CB radio craze of about 38 years ago, when I also completely avoided, so I’ll just keep on avoiding FB until it also disappears.

12. Yes, and the commenter spelled “grateful” wrong… not the point…
    I don’t know that it’s as much a conspiracy as that boards know there are millions upon millions of people already on FB, so from an administrative standpoint, the admins of the boards don’t have to mess with that part of security, user maintenance, and so forth, and can focus on keeping the board itself running well… Old IT guy with about 25 years in the industry.

I can only speak for myself, in that I have family on FB, many of which are hardcore Fundamentalist Evangelicals who also seem to think their life also has to include Tea Party Republicanism, and anti- just about anything that doesn’t fit those categories, and some friends that are the same, and since they “like” and “share” so much crap, even turning off the feeds, I was still subjected to a lot of unwanted popups and “suggested link” based upon their preferences… due to certain aspects of my internal wiring, not any of anyone’s business, I am unable to tune anything out, and it’s only by hard-learned skills that I’m able to prioritize what gets in… when there are all these suggested things, are there, unwanted, unneeded and unwelcome, but there, nonetheless… and, since I played a few games on there, I acquired other “friends” who were just like my aforementioned family and friends, or worse… all the anti-Islam, anti-Obama, and all the rest of the mis- and dis-information was there on my screen in all its willfully ignorant glory, and impossible for me to tune out.

I am grateful also for part of the time I spent on Facebook… almost 6 years… as it was the medium that allowed me to find my friend of 35 years who is now my Beloved wife… but the dark side of the coin is that some of the friends I reconnected with after years turned out to have become complete wackjobs, angry partisans, and hateful bigots… again, impossible to tune out, unless I de-friended them.

“It was the best of times. It was the worst of times” — Charles Dickens

13. And please forgive my typos… typing in the heat of the moment, found that I oopsed a bit… no one’s a fiercer “grammar and spelling Nazi” on me than I am, myself… 50 lashes with a wet noodle and I’ll try to do better… {chuckle}