SHAME ON YOU, WISCONSIN!

June 6, 2012 By Jack Jodell

Shame on you, Wisconsin! By giving Scott Walker a substantial victory in last night’s election, you told every crackpot far-right extremist governor in the country that it’s perfectly ok to squash public and even private sector labor unions! You also convinced far-right economic bully billionaires like the Koch brothers and Sheldon Adelson that they can safely buy whatever election result they want in any election they want! Just wait until you see the end result of this election, when these same bully billionaires start to demand big returns on their investment at your expense!

You have stabbed your neighbors, fellow workers, and Wisconsin’s elderly and needy in the back!

You have enabled a self-centered, uncaring far-right fanatic, and have possibly aided his political future on the national level!

You have destroyed all possibility of shrinking the ever-widening income gap in your state!

You have abandoned your fellow teachers, police, firefighters, and thousands of other state employees at a time when they needed you the most!

You have chosen to further the cause of corporate greed!

You have vindicated that terrible Scott Walker, and legitimized his previous anti-democratic actions!

You have stabbed progress in the back, and have rewarded regression and reaction!

WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU CAST YOUR VOTE FOR THAT ARROGANT, SMUG, POSSIBLE FELON? WERE YOU CRAZY?!?

Mark my words, those who voted against recalling Scott Walker: you have made a horrible mistake, and you will soon regret this mistake for a great many years to come!

This entry was posted in corporate greed, extremists, labor unions, Politics, Scott Walker, Wisconsin workers and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to SHAME ON YOU, WISCONSIN!

1. JollyRoger says:

We prevailed in Ohio. Apparently Koch money buys you more in Wisconsin.

Jolly Roger,
      Good for Ohio, and it is unforgivable that Koch money is allowed to be freeely spent, on any election anywhere, and in any quantity. This corporatist Supreme Court is the worst in our entire history! It is the enemy of the common citizen and of democracy itself! 😦

2. The voters get what they deserve.

Jerry,
      NOBODY, no matter how ill-informed or ignorant, deserves Scott Walker!

• Stimpson says:

And furthermore, collective bargaining rights were at stake here. It’s not just a matter of ‘voters getting what they deserve’. This is about the rights of working people being stripped away.

3. Darlene says:

I’m too depressed to even talk about it. I feel like crying for my poor country full of ignorant stupid voters who were so easily swayed by an influx of dishonest ads. I think we are seeing the end of what was once a great country.

Darlene,
      I hate to say it, but I share your anguish and your belief.

• Hello Darlene and Jack,
      I too think Darlene has summed it all up quite well. Democracy Lost.

The next step will be when the masses have had enough of the corruption and realize that fact; the pendulum will swing back most viciously. Depending on how severe, we may have the repeat of the French Revolution.

4. JollyRoger says:

I think we saw that awhile ago, Darlene. The spasms may or may not continue for a few more years, but we’ve been done for awhile now. I almost wish the implosion would just get itself over with so we could work on fixing things.

JR,
      It was an utter disaster, that’s all. Incredible damage has been done to the poor and middle class in this country, and I believe the worst is yet to come.

5. Jack, I think too, it’s important to give those Progressives and Democrats who pushed so hard, who put out such good work their due accord. It’s not only a horrible loss for the good side of humanity in WI but it foretells what is chance coming to the Presidential race. It was money that won here… pure and simple. AND NO SUPPORT FROM NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC CORPORATE PARTY. And please, fucking please… ONE FUCKING TWEET BY OBAMA to support this effort? NO $ really … the last day of the effort they helped with a hasty video? The people on the ground in WI … WERE BETRAYED. That’s my understanding.

Gwen,
      Wisconsin progressives and Democrats were the most betrayed of all.Even their corporatist President and his corporatist party abandoned them. More on Obama’s failure to campaign in Wisconsin will be forthcoming soon. I am thoroughly disgusted.

• I left this on a FB post: ___
        It’s a hard knock. My mom told me, the day I had to drive her to cobalt treatment (approx 3 months before she crossed) “sweetheart; you gotta learn to roll with the punches.” And there’s the truth. You don’t loose hope… because hope is not a campaign tool…its a tangible quality of character. So is optimism, in it’s time and place. We have to pick our spirits up… not be degraded into violent rhetoric and ‘fuck this’ or ‘its fucked’ kind of apathy…there is no goodness in that. Sure, there’s every reason to be angry, demoralized and blameful. But shouldn’t we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and forge ahead on what we think is the right side of humanity … we are in good company across the planet. This ain’t just little ole America.
        This is a global fight for our humanity.
        We act locally yet we untie globally.
        We must, it seems to me to be the only sanity.

• JollyRoger says:

Obama is getting some incredibly bad advice, from people who have led him to just about every disaster he’s encountered. I despise Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, Steny Whoryer, and the rest of the DINO-DLC scum. They’re qualitatively no better than the Rushpubliscums.
      Until they are removed from their “leadership” positions, I’ll support individual candidates, but I’ll never give a dime to the DNC. No way, nohow.

The party has become corrupted by corporatism. You have chosen a prudent course, Jolly Roger, and with good reason.

6. The working people themselves allowed their rights to be stripped away. They voted. They chose not to protect their rights. The consequences are on their heads.

I guess you’re right, Jerry. Too bad it will end up having such a horrible and widespread effect on all!

• Stimpson says:

A public school teacher in Green Bay deserves to have her rights taken away? Really? Would the same logic apply to past setbacks in black civil rights, or gay marriage? Individuals deserve to have their basic rights taken from them? I can’t agree with that, sir. No, not at all.

7. jackjodell53 says:

Gwen,
    All we progressives have been doing for the past 30+ years is rolling with one punch after another. They are now turning into body blows and knockout punches…

8. jackjodell53 says:

Stimpson,
    You are right. I see Jerry’s point, but in fact NOBODY deserves to have their rights taken away from them for any reason.

9. Jack, a horrible fact of all this is that things are going to have to get a lot worse in America before they will at last get better. We have a lot of fat, stupid people in this country, and I can’t imagine any other type of person who would have been enough of a shithead to vote to keep Walker in. It looks as though Great Depression conditions, like the ’30s, is what it’s going to take for people to finally get it.

But, I live in a state where they elected Il Doofus governor twice, and Rick “El Pendejo” Perry governor three times. My estimation of the intelligence of the American people has hit an all-time low. Things will have to hit rock-bottom before they can improve. Only then will some people get it.

Manifesto Joe,
      I understand and share in your blunt appraisal of the average apolitical American voter. It makes it all the more important that persons of intelligence, reason, and conviction such as you and I do not abandon our good fight! Keep on struggling, brother – you have a kindred spirit here! 🙂

10. JS says:

Dear Jackjodell,

You know what, I would like to still have some jobs in america, we are not slaves, we choose who we work for. If we don’t do a good job we get fired. If we do well we’re promoted. If we don’t want the job we quit and they hire someone else. Unfortunately not all businesses are fair and perfectly good people lose their jobs due to lay-offs, the economy, etc. Unions were very important during the industrial revolution and improved working conditions substantially. However, now that there are government regulations in place to protect the workers, unions have levied for even more power through collective bargaining. This helps the current union workers earn more, while stunting the growth of the company, making it difficult to hire new workers. I am not for the right or the left, I just want our country to be great again and am tired of all the cheap Chinese goods. The rights of the people are in the bill of rights, ‘collective bargaining’ is not.

JS,
      Thank you for stopping by and for your comment. I agree with much of what you say, with the exception of collective bargaining. REGARDLESS of what the Bill of Rights says, the right to collectively bargain for better wages as well as working conditions was affirmed and reaffirmed by the Supreme Court in the 1930s. In case you haven’t noticed, union represntation is way lower than it was at its height 50-60 years ago. While the government has stepped in for better safety regulations, with the exception of providing for a woefully inadequate minimum wage, it has done nothing to regulate the actual wages American workers are paid. As the unions have gradually disappeared, outsourcing of American jobs began to skyrocket, and so, coincidentally, did CEO salaries. THE DISPARITY IN WEALTH IS NOW GREATER THAN AT ANY TIME IN THE PAST 80+ YEARS. That is not only unfair; it is also unhealthy. The rich keep getting richer while everyone else stagnates or gets poorer. That is indefensible and CANNOT be blamed in any way on today’s shrinking labor unions. This disparity in wealth will get even worse until unions once again become stronger and more widespread. Then and only then will they be able to wrest a fair wage for American workers away from the greedy CEOs and their corporations. To suggest otherwise is delusional, I am sorry to say.

11. JS says:

jackjodell,

Well said Jack you seem to have done your research. This is a multifaceted issue that effects many people, and any abuse of power, including the unions, can upset the apple cart so to speak.
    First of all, most people in this world are greedy, expect this. Some use their greed as a motive to work harder, longer, and better than others. These people assume leadership roles as they make more and more money for themselves and the company. Although they are greedy, they earned it. Others are lazy and are jealous of the rich and want what they have without putting in the effort. Who’s to say a wage is fair? Maybe I don’t think its fair, or my Latino friend that works in a packing plant may lose his job because of lay-offs and doesn’t think it’s fair. Maybe his business can not operate on a higher pay scale. I make less than ten dollars an hour and do I think its fair? YES! I chose to work there. I chose that job. While I may not make much now, I am getting a higher education will start making more than double what I am now in about a year. I am content with what I have and it makes all the difference in the world.
    As part of the 99% I, am not jealous of the 1% and unlike you, I could care less. In fact, I hope I will join them someday though hard work and talk some common sense into the greedy ones. I want to tell them to be content with what they have. I would tell them to not forget about those who work for them. If they are too greedy, they will loose it all as the workers strike or quit. Then that company will go belly up, and if the government doesn’t bail them out, it will fail. Other corporations will learn from their mistakes and be better for it. I believe that all unions have good intentions but they are too overreaching and political today. You have your own bargaining rights. Assuming you have a clean record, choose where you work, its that simple.

Thanks again, JS.
      There is much here I can agree with once more. As I am 58 years old and have had a great variety of work experience in a number of fields (including management and business ownership), and have not exactly just fallen off the turnip truck, I know and understand very well what can be the positive aspects of “greed.” I, however, would bot characterize the desire for better self-fulfillment as “greed”. Perhaps a few examples of it would be in order. GREED is when a corporate CEO exports a large number of his factory’s jobs to a cheap, slave labor market, decimates a small town or the community in the process, and then gives himself and his board a huge pay increase while holding his remaining workforce’s wages down. GREED is when YOUR belly is full and you actively oppose any attempt to raise other workers’ living standards. GREED is when you continue to pollute the environment, endanger the health or well-being of others in your community, and refuse to clean up your act because it may adversely affect your bottom line. As I have already stated, regardless of your definition of fair wages, the fact that CEO salaries have literally skyrocketed over the past 30 years while everyone else’s have barely kept up or have even receded is indefensible. It is also morally wrong.

I am glad your particular situation will enable you to double your income some day. Keep in mind, though, that not everyone has your same exact advantages. Regardless of whether it is pleasant to admit or not, many people have been victimized by unfair labor practices engaged in by the wealthy in recent years, and they are justifiably concerned and angry.Nobody has the right to be lazy or complacent and expect to receive more simply because they want more – income must be EARNED by ALL, including less-than-productive CEOs who are awarded huge golden parachutes upon failing and leaving their companies. Worker concern and anger over wealth disparity is NOT merely a question of “envy”, as uncaring 1%-ers like Mitt Romney love to spout off about – it is a question of FACT.

12. JS says:

I agree with some of what you say, but as a previous business owner are you saying that CEOs have no desire for self-fulfillment? Everyone wants to be happy. Some people try to find that in wealth, money, and assets. Those people will never be happy, because they can never have enough. They will bribe the government, screw the workers, and/or destroy the environment to make more money. This is not just CEOs by the way, there are many people that think they can buy happiness. CEOs are different because they OWN the company or the majority of it anyway. They get to chose how they use the money, not the government (with the exception of GM). This is why there are rules set up by the government to prevent this from getting too out of control. Its too bad unions have now become a pac for the democrats. Here’s a FACT: SEIU spent 15.8 million bucks on political ads in 2010. Money they could have used to start a non-greedy company or help the workers directly, or even better, helped to clean up the environment. Raising money for government officials and expecting them to change things is the biggest mistake they can make. Simply because those same government officials get even more money from the large corporations. This influences government to be tough on smaller businesses creating monopolies for larger companies and also allows them to rewrite the rules. Trust in government and you will be disappointed all the time.
    Bribes + politics = lies, corruption, GREED. BIG SURPRISE!
    There will always be someone that has more money than you and focusing on ‘wealth disparity’ will only make workers less content with what they have. Robin Hood might be a cool concept, but it won’t work in the long term. I don’t find true fulfillment in money. Money is a tool; it can be used for good or for ill. Being content doesn’t mean to be complacent.
    Bribes are the root of the real problem, don’t kid yourself.

btw
    What is your definition of a fair wage?

JS,
      This will be my final comment on this matter. To suggest that a CEO who has himself to make HUNDREDS of times as much as his employees below him is simply no longer pursuing a desire for “self fulfillment” is absolutely preposterous and an outright insult to my intelligence. As far as unions becoming PACs for the Democrats goes, their contributions are FAR LOWER than those of say, Sheldon Adelson’s, or Karl Rove’s, or those of the Koch brothers. So don’t even try to compare unions with those billionaires. And as far as a fair wage goes, how about enough to pay the mortgage or rent, buy food, buy clothes once in a while, take a modest vacation every few years, and keep up on auto payments? Basically, the types of relative wages we had when unions were strong and widespread, and when CEOs had enough common sense to pay themselves only 40-70 times as much as their workers, and chose to invest the rest in both their workers as well as their companies, instead of piggishly stuffing their own wallets?! That’s it – no more from me on this matter. Good day.

13. jackjodell53 says:

Darlene,
    Thank you. I’m glad (but not at asll surprised) to see you once again displaying common sense and a sense of fairness and perspective on this page. 🙂

14. JS says:

I thank you for sharing your opinion and I welcome others to do the same. I am glad that that you chose to give me the final word on the matter, that’s very kind of you. You never once addressed what I said about bribes and believe me I hate any and all political donations used to influence policy. Even policy I agree with! Individuals making more than 500,000 a year should be taxed 30 or 40 percent and everyone else should not be taxed at all. It should be illegal for corporations, companies, and other businesses to bribe any government official, donate to any political organization, or give to charities or foundations that don’t use 100 percent of the money for actual charitable work, necessities, and/or helping people. Just so you know those pig CEOs will NEVER know true happiness nor will they EVER deserve it.

Be content don’t give in to greed.
    You will find true happiness helping those in need.