“Mispronounciations” That REALLY DRIVE ME CRAZY!

By Jack Jodell, Feb. 12, 2012

This is just a short little rant about a GIANT pet peeve of mine: the continual, seemingly deliberate MISPRONUNCIATION of words or terms within the English language BY PEOPLE WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER! Every day, seemingly intelligent people misspeak words as if they were ignorant, backwoods, unschooled MORONS, and there is simply no excuse for it! Mind you, I am usually quite patient and am NOT normally a petty person, but when it comes to the way some of these words are mispronounced, I lose my patience entirely! So I have come up with a list of the words whose mispronunciation in the media and elsewhere drives me absolutely NUTS, together with the proper PHONETIC pronunciation of each word. Should you not be able to understand the phonetic spelling and still continue to mispronounce these words, then it’s back to the backwoods with you, and to hell with you as well! Here goes:

1). NUCLEAR –  unless you’re deliberately trying to imitate or  mock George W. Bush, this word is pronounced “new-KLEE-er”, and most definitely NOT “new-cue-ler.” Likewise, the word NUCLEUS is pronounced “new-KLEE-us”, and NOT “new-cue-lus”!!! Get with the program on this one, will you, people? Mispronouncing this as Bush does is neither funny NOR is it cute!
2). MASONRY – the word is pronounced “MA-son-ree”, NOT “may-son-ary.” There is simply no “a” put in that word before the “r”, so don’t even think of putting one there!
3). REALTY  – is pronounced “REAL-tee, NOT “ree-lit-tee”, just as REALTOR is pronounced “REAL-ter”, NOT “ree-lit-ter.” Don’t you DARE try to slip in an “i” between the l and the t in those words! GRRR!!!
4). LOSE – is the proper spelling of losing something, NOT “loose”, unless you have a few screws loose in that head of yours! It’s “I plan to not LOSE the election”, NOT “I plan to not loose the election”!
5). USED – is the proper way to refer to something you have done previously, NOT “use.” For example, the correct way is to say or write “I USED to have a pet dog, but it died a long time ago,” The INCORRECT way is to say or write “I use to have a pet dog, but it died a long time ago.” No excuse for this one, my friends!
6). DEMOCRATIC is the name of the PARTY or its proposals, NOT “Democrat”! There is no such thing as the “Democrat Party”, unless you’re an ignorant and hateful conservative Republican or Tea-Party extremist who speaks as if he or she doesn’t know better, which they DO.
7). IRAQ – this one REALLY bugs me! Proper pronunciation is “Ir-ROCK” or “ee-ROCK”, preferably with the “r” slightly rolled, NOT “Eye-RACK”!!!!! Think about it, morons: you don’t say you are going to visit Rome, EYE-taly, do you? Or that someday you’ll do an April in Paris, FRAYNCE, do you? Of cpurse not! Then let’s stop referring to this ancient middle-eastern country in such a stupid and provincial way, shall we? GET IT RIGHT, GODDAMMIT!
8).  IRAN – likewise, this country is NOT called “Eye-RAN” but should be referred to as “Ir-RAWN” (which rhymes with “dawn”) or “ee-RAWN”, again with the “r” slightly rolled. GODDAMMIT AGAIN, GET IT RIGHT!!! You wouldn’t appreciate it if anyone referred to our country as the “Anitted Stats”, would you?
9). ITALIAN – Pizza and spaghetti are NOT “Eye-tallian” dishes. Rather, the “i” is SHORT, as it is in the word “it”. SO PRONOUNCE IT THAT WAY!!!

There is absolutely no reason for the everyday American to be going around talking like an uneducated fool. It insults the people of these other countrues as well,  So let’s get on the ball and STOP talking like dumb asses! THANK YOU!

This entry was posted in commentary, conservative Republicans, Democratic Party, Tea Party and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to “Mispronounciations” That REALLY DRIVE ME CRAZY!

1. Darlene says:

I pleas guilty to mispronouncing Iran. I have been pronouncing it I-ran. (As in running a race.) Thanks for setting me straight.

2. Darlene says:

I not only mispronounce Iran, I can’t type either. That should have been ‘plead’ and not ‘pleas’.

Oh my; I think I will go back to bed.

3. jackjodell53 says:

Darlene,
    If those turn out to be the worst offenses in your life, that’s just fine with me. 🙂

4. Max's Dad says:

Love it, Jack. I have the same shiver that goes down my spine when I hear those words butchered. I say nothing as I’d sound like a jerk if I correct somebody, but still. And that “Democrat” thing is deliberate, fueled by the talk radio scammers.

5. Stimpson says:

When a U.S. soldier comes back from Iraq and still calls it “eye-rak,” that’s especially galling since it says “I can’t even respect that country enough to pronounce its name correctly.”

You are entirely correct, Stimpson. We U.S. citizens must simply learn that we are NOT supreme and inherently superior to all other nations, and we are NOT entitled to carelessly mispronounce their names as we see fit. Thank you, my Canadian friend!

6. There was a lot of joking when I was a kid about very well-educated, well-traveled, extremely literate President Dwight Eisenhower often saying “nukular,” even after having been coached to get it right. It had something to do with his Midwest childhood, I think.

Your list is a good one, Jack. I’ve cringed many a time to all of those and more. For example, I’d have enough for a nice vacation if I had a buck for every time I’ve seen someone write “definately.”

7. jackjodell53 says:

Thanks, S.W. Typos can be typos, and they do happen, but some people seem to constantly make the same ones! 🙂

8. Infidel753 says:

Thanks, these really annoy me too.

The actual Arabic pronunciation of “Iraq” is almost impossible for Americans, but “ih-ROCK” is as close as we can get within the limitations of English phonetics. “Eye-rack” is hideously wrong. As for “Iran”, “ee-RAWN” is actually pretty close to how it’s really pronounced in Persian.

9. Bill T says:

What galls me, Jack, is when someone writes and submits a rant about proper English usage yet fails to proofread his post thoroughly. Furthermore, your content, diction, and syntax were strong enough. Why must you write every emphasized word using capital letters? I realize that you are passionate about this topic and I share your many concerns. However, raising your VOICE with such regularity (not to mention repeatedly abusing the exclamation mark) indicates a lack of faith in your own command of English and practically begs the reader to tune you out.

Bill T,
      In the first place, sir, I am legally blind and do, on occasion, mistype a letter or two. But as far as your characterization of me as lacking faith in my own command of English and my tendency to capatalize words goes, you can go STUFF yourself! Better yet, don’t bother coming by here with petty insults and time-wasting comments.

10. jackjodell53 says:

Bill T,
    You have proven yourself to be an insensitive, petty, and obsessive nuisance. STOP REPEATEDLY HARASSING ME WITH YOUR INCESSANT LECTURING! Your further comments on this issue, like the MANY you’ve bothered me with already, will no longer be read and will be trashed upon receipt. I don’t have, nor will I take, the time to respond to such nonsense. GET A LIFE, PAL!

11. Bill T says:

Jack,
    Being legally blind should not prevent you from ensuring that your post matches the standards of English usage you are so virulently trying to uphold. Somehow you managed to convey text on this site, and if you could accomplish spelling “spaghetti” correctly, then surely you could do the same for “countries”. Of course, all of us “mistype a letter or two”, especially in the informal forum of blogs. However, your rant included criticism of people who write “use to” when they should have written “used to”. Well, Jack, how can you be certain that some of these mistakes are not themselves the result of typographical errors? And if you’re going to play the “legally blind” card so quickly, how can you be sure that the mispronunciations and misspellings that others commit are not caused by some malady, impairment, or difficulty of their own? Sure, there are obvious, egregious offenders; but not everyone who speaks or writes below Jack Jodell’s personal standards is a “backwoods, unschooled moron”.

Believe it or not, Jack, I’m on your side. I didn’t come here to insult you and it’s a shame you took my comment that way. It’s also too bad that you view my opinions as a waste of time. Would your time have been better spent if I had responded with something like, “I hear ya, Jack. What grinds my gears is when people refer to the very late Muammar Gaddafi by pronouncing his name with a hard ‘g’ sound rather than a ‘k’ sound. Who are these people, VILLAGE IDIOTS??????”?

Ask yourself Jack: did you post that rant to spark discussion or merely to solicit affirmation?
    Bill T