By Jack Jodell, Nov. 29, 2011
If you’re as sick of mainstream, corporate media as I am, I’d like to remind you that we are NOT limited solely to the same old corporatist, commercial-laden garbage that constantly bombards us on TV. We DO have PBS, MSNBC, and CURRENT TV networks to choose from for more progressive programming generally (although the latter two do indeed have their share of commercials, and MSNBC does have a degree of corporate-taint at times). That is why LINK TV is so vitally important: it is thoroughly, 100% viewer-supported and totally free of corporate conglomerate ownership or influence. It receives NO funding whatsoever from satellite or cable providers, so it is COMPLETELY FREE TO OFFER POGRAMMING YOU WILL NEVER SEE ON CORPORATE TV NETWORKS!
LINK TV can be found on DIRECTV channel 375, and DISH Network 9410. Don’t have satellite TV? No problem – just visit LINK TV at http://www.linktv.org). At the upper middle of the home page across the top, you’ll see “About LINK TV.” Click on that, and then “How To Get Link TV”, and there you’ll find an interactive map of cable stations across the whole country which offer it. Should your cable network not be a provider, call them and tell them you want them to start carrying LINK TV immediately. Meanwhile, ny scouring the lefthand secrion of the LINK TV homepage, you’ll find that you can view a number of their shows online. Here is a list of some of the great shows you’ve been missing that you will see ONLY on LINK TV:
1. DEMOCRACY NOW! With Amy Goodman, this award-winning independent news show features stories usually ignored by corporate media and provides an important voice for the marginalized victims of our society.
2. AL-JAZEERA ENGLISH, news and commentary from the Middle East given in an unbiased fashion.
3. BORGEN (GOVERNMENT), an excellent Danish TV political drama which tells the story of a charismatic female populist who becomes Denmark’s first woman Prime Minister in an ynexpected landslide.
4. LOCKED OUT! The heroic true story of how some Boron, CA miners stood up to the huge mining conglomerate Rio Tinto – and actually WON!
5. THE WORLD ACCORDING TO MOSANTO, a fabulous documentary exposing how this chemical giant went from producing Agent Orange and BCPs, minimizing the health risks of each, to attempting to monpolize and dominate the world of agriculture with seeds that only produce one legal crop yield, all in the name of profit.
6. NOT JUST A GAME, Based on The Nation sports editor Dave Zirin’s book, “The People’s History of Sports in the United States”, Zirin argues that sports haven’t always been merely escapist entertainment, but have also been at the forefront of many of our major political and economic debates and struggles.
7. OVERDRAWN!, which reveals how banks use predatory lending fees to rip YOU off, often creating overdrafts in how they process your checks and then charging exorbitant overdraft fees for them, and on even tiny overdrafts!
8. THE UNWINKING GAZE, an interesting behind-the-scenes look at the work habits of Tibet’s exiled and revered iconic Dalai Lama.
9. MOSAIC, the award-winning world news show, featuring unbiased reports from different countries around the Middle East.
10. GLENN GREENWALD – WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR SOME, Greenwald says that America now has a two-tiered justice system: One tier for those with enough money or influence to subvert justice — and another for everyone else. Regardless of whether it’s those who committed financial fraud, or Bush administration figures who ignored torture and tried to make it appear legal, Greenwald shines light on the political and financial elite who have found themselves immune from the law. He also condemns the mainstream media who he claims cast a blind eye at this perversion of justice.
These are but 10 of the reasons you should ditch mainstream network TV altogether and start watching LINK TV. There are many, MANY more! Let igmorant conservatives have their twisted 24 and the O’Reilly Factor – WE’LL watch the good stuff at LINK! For LINK TV is media that speaks truth to power and does so with fact-filled documentaries, speeches, and news programs not only from here in the U.S., but from across the globe. LINK TV was one of the first networks to begin broadcasting live streams from Egypt’s Arab Spring in Tahrir Square as well as providing continued coverage of the OCCUPY movements all around the world. The network even provides shows about foreign music, cinema, and culture in addition to its informative topical programming. In addition to Amy Goodman and Glenn Greenwald, LINK TV also features information from Noam Chomsky and investigative journalist Greg Palast. THIS is a station that is far too good to pass up!
As mentioned earlier, LINK TV is fully viewer supported and relies solely on individual contributions to bring us these fine programs aroubd the clock. For this reason, and because they just happen to be at the very beginning of their Winter Fundraising Drive, I strongly urge you to go to their website, check them out, and then contribute to their very worthy endeavor. ANY amount you can give – $10 once, $20 per month, or a single gift of $100, $200, $300, or even $1,000 or more would be most appreciated by them and would even enable you to own DVDs of their various programs and such. You can find all the details on their site. NO AMOUNT IS TOO SMALL, AND ALL CONTRIBUTIONS WILL HELP THEM CONTINUE THEIR QUALITY ENLIGHTENED PROGRAMMING! Or, if you prefer, simply phone your pledge in toll-free at 1-866-485-8848, or mail in a contribution to them at:
P.O. Box 2008
San Francisco, CA 94126
I have listed this info and have posted all of this on a completely voluntary basis, and have no connection of any kind with LINK TV. I just believe in them, that’s all, and I know YOU will too! Thank you, and good viewing!