OCTOBER 6, 2011 AND BEYOND!

By Jack Jodell, October 5, 2011

This is a busy and exciting time for committed progressive activists. Tomorrow, in Washington, D.C., and in solidarity with the OCCUPY WALL STREET effort being waged in New York and all throughout the country, October 2011 core organizer and longtime health care activist DR. MARGARET FLOWERS will lead an ongoing  demonstration against war, corporate greed, and FOR a single-payer, truly universal health care system. For more details, please visit their website at http://october2011.org/. You will find the organization’s goals to be clearly stated: end the wars, bring the troops home; put workers before profits; get money out of politics; end corporate welfare; health care for all; tax the rich and corporations; human needs, not corporate greed; protect the planet.

This dem-
fully
neg-
lected
its re-
sponsi-
bilities  to the
overwhelming majority of its constituents, the poor, elderly, disabled, workers, and middle class for most of the past 30 years. Instead, it has wromgfully spent the majority of its energies on war, completely unneeded and deficit-growing Bush tax cuts for the rich, and corporate subsidies, all of which have only really benifitted the wealthiest 1% of the population. It has also wasted time on persecuting gays and obsessing itself foolishly and needlessly with worthless political endeavors like banning Sharia Law and attempting to disenfranchise minority voters and students. The protestors will direct their aim primarily at the arrogant and uncaring elitist, champagne-sipping, lobster, aged prime steak,  and caviar-munching crowd of pompous buffoons like Tea Partier Eric Cantor, conservative Republicans John Boehner and Mitch McConnell, and DINO Joe LIEberman, but will also not be neglecting its fair share of phony other DINO Democrats.

On October 11, the group will also present the Obama “Super Committee” with its demands to NOT cut funding for Medicare, Medicaid, or Social Security! It will instead press for the very early withdrawal of troops from Iraq and Afghanistan and a complete end to all bailouts for the crooks on Wall Street. In total solidarity with the demonstrators of OCCUPY WALL STREET, it will demand that the government stop coddling the richest 1% of us and instead start devoting its resources to a much-needed jobs program and a bailout of MAIN Street!
========================================================
On Friday, October 7, 2011, I will join numerous other demonstrators in downtown Minneapolis, MN., as part of the OCCUPY MINNESOTA campaign being held in solidarity with OCCUPY WALL STREET and the OCTOBER 2011 movements. I will base my next blog on what happens there. Meanwhile, I urge all of you to go to http://occupytogether.org/ to see where YOU, TOO, can make your voice heard in your own individual communities.

GO FOR IT, PEOPLE! This is history in the making!  GET ACTIVE!  SPREAD THE WORD! BATTLE AGAINST CORPORATE INFESTATION AND GREED!!!

This entry was posted in commentary, conservative Republicans, corporate greed, History, news, Politics, Progressives, taxes, Tea Party and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to OCTOBER 6, 2011 AND BEYOND!

1. Darlene says:

Thank you for the link to Occupy Together. This is what I have been advocating for a long time. We must make Washington hear. There are 99% of us against 1%. If only we could motivate half of the 99%, or even 1/3 it would really have an impact on the policy makers and they would realize that we really are mad as hell and we’re not going to take it anymore.

Darlene,
      We are definitely on the same page. And we’re both doing all we can to spread the word. I see a bunch of NY unions and civic organizations are starting to lend their support to the OCCUPY WALL STREET group. That is SUPERB, and proof that this movement is starting to grow, as it should and must!

2. JollyRoger says:

It’s exciting, but it’s also dangerous. I suspect we are watching the death spasms of the US. The Plutocrats are too stupid to be dissuaded from their course, and the rest of us are fed up. I don’t see how that ends well, barring sudden enlightenment on the part of the Plutocracy.

Jolly Roger,
      I tend to view it a bit more optimistically. As more and more people rise up and voice their dissatisfaction, politicians and at least a few of the piggish 1% will react favorably. The fact that union interest is reawkening is also a positive sign. As such, I believe we will see SOME positive change result. Even 15% of something will be better than the 100% of nothing we currently have.

3. Great piece Jack. Keep us posted on your experiences with Occupy Minnesota. You know, as much as I despise the Tea Baggers, one thing I did always admire about them is that at least they got up off their butts and marched in the streets. And now, our side is finally doing the same. It’d be nice if our side got even one-tenth the media attention that the Tea Bagger have gotten. Or, for that matter, the fawning admiration the corporation media always showed the Tea Baggers.
    Instead all we get from the corporate media whores is patronizing, insulting coverage. Like CNN’s Alison Kosik said, all she thinks is going on at the Wall Street protests is: “Bang on the bongos, smoke weed.” Yeah, well f*ck you too, Kosik, you f*cking asshole. I hate these media whores as much as I do the Wall Street corporate crooks.

4. I wish the doctor and those with her good luck and godspeed. They’re going to need it. But it’s really good that they will show up and speak up. If the protests and initiatives like this one keep up, eventually the pols in Washington might get the idea that the anger of an aroused and dissatisfied public could do their careers more harm than all the money corporations and the rich toss their way will do them good. At that point, some real change becomes possible.

Exactly right, S.W.
      It’s important to remember that this is OUR movement and it’s up to US. EVERYBODY. Grab your neighbors and relatives and get out and make your voices heard!

5. Hello Jack,
    I have to say that I am impressed that none of the occupiers have been marched on and attacked by National Guardsmen. I am excited that the movement is growing and have to say “It’s about time!!” I may try to get into D.C. when the movement gets there.

I, like Marc McDonald, am glad that our side has finally “got up off their butts and marched in the streets.” But unlike the Teabaggers, the Occupiers are not a group of “Lunatic Fringe Wing Nuts” and not a true representation of the majority U.S. citizens.

The Occupiers are nothing more than parents with their sons and daughters of the middle class, educated, people who are feeling the oppression of the long arm of government sanctioned corporate greed.

I see a revitalization of workers unions and a true unification of the working middle class reigning in “Corporate Greed.”

Hello, Engineer of Knowledge!
      The protestors are also retirees, students, the under and unemployed, and all who comprise the 99% who are not the top 1% of income grabbers in the country. As such, and my own encounters have verified this, they are truly the MAJORITY of citizens in the nation. All are shocked at the excesses displayed by corporations, the Teabaggers, and the far-right Republican Party in recent years.

6. Jack,
    “All are shocked at the excesses displayed by corporations, the Teabaggers, and the far-right Republican Party in recent years.” RIGHT ON BROTHER!!!!….and it’s about time too.

7. For the first time in nearly two years, my seriously sagging spirits have begun picking up bit by bit as this movement has spread. For the first time in a long time I’m beginning to have a glimmer of hope. It’s a good feeling. Look forward to reading about your experience.

Leslie,
      I share your enthusiasm and raised spirits. These are incredibly heady times for progressives, as we are emerging from an overly long dormant phase. My own experiences will be related within the next day or two.